May 23, 2005

Yes, I'm still here.

Despite all odds.

GOOD MORNING! Not much in the way of excitement this weekend. Friday night, Reba had to work late--something else unrelated to the half-jesting order to stay the other night, and one that had to get done. ::sigh:: So, laundry and supper for the kids, and when it got to be obvious that she was going to be out WAY past dark, when she called to check in, I told her I'd drive across town to escort her home. Yes, she's a big girl, and yes, she could have done just fine without me, but I worry. So sue me. It's a long drive, done mostly through bad neighborhoods and unfriendly interstate exits, and I would much rather have to follow her home than have to come find her if she broke down. SO, I let the kids have a Stay Up Late Night and they played video games and I went on about my laundress duty until about 10:30 or so, when she called to say she was about ready. Load up the young'uns, drive across town, wait, turn around, drive back.

Into bed with us all, then up early Saturday for Reba, who STILL had one more chart to finish, so while she did that, I went out and planted a pot of flowers of some sort (something blue, with a name made up entirely of consonants), and then we went clothes shopping, which I can tolerate when it's just Reba and me, but becomes quite tiresome when the children are along. Most of the time I have to go take them out to the mall and sit on a bench--keeps them from running and hiding in the clothes, if nothing else. Also have to throw pennies in all the various ponds and fountains and anything else they think should have money thrown at it, such as candy machines.

Found Cat some skorts and tops with all sorts of kitty pictures on them, found Boy some shirts and shorts, found Mom three blouses, and got myself a pair of Haggar plain front navy blue polyester pants to replace the pair the bottom busted out of. Or my bottom busted out of. They last a long time until one day they just die. I'm just glad it happened when I was still at home one morning a few weeks back.

Had some supper in the Salmonella Court, then shopped some more, then finally went home late, got the kids scrubbed, in bed, up early for church, got Reba to substitute in the 4 and 5 year old class since both teachers were out due to family circumstances (I usually complain, but not about these two--they really did need to be gone), taught my class and had another one of the long after-class discussions with Rebecca. She thinks a lot.

Church, then lunch with the younger folks at the house of a friend, then back home where I read the paper and tried my best to take a nap. Never try to take a nap on the couch. In the den. When the kids are playing a Harry Potter video game. It just doesn't work.

Back to church, and had our regular 4th Sunday evening Q&A session, which I always like. Some of you have asked about this--basically, people submit questions ahead of time, and the preacher answers them. Never fails to be informative.

Home, supper, bed, here.

AND NOW, I have several errands to run this morning that will preclude me from any sort of regular posting until much later this afternoon, SO, go visit everyone in the list up top or over on the sidebar, and I'll see you sometime later!

Posted by Terry Oglesby at May 23, 2005 08:48 AM

It is very gallant of you to go follow your wife home. I HATE driving in the dark alone.

Posted by: Lenise at May 23, 2005 02:39 PM

Thanks, Lenise--I figure I owe her for putting up with me.

Posted by: Terry Oglesby at May 23, 2005 02:44 PM

Wow. I'm genuinely impressed. I fear that Nick subscribes too much to the "she's a big girl" form of thinking -- that if I were to not come home on time one night, he'd just turn in thinking I'd call if I ran into a problem.


Posted by: Grouchy Old Yorkie Lady at May 23, 2005 08:34 PM